Saturday, August 15, 2009

An end to day 2

Alright, no promises on this blogging thing...it is all new to me. Where to begin??? First of all, let's just break down the psyche of the past 8 hours. The night/morning of the flight it was, "I can't believe that I am going to Ghana." and then the day we landed it was something along the lines of, "I can't believe that I'm here in Ghana." and now it has progressed to, "I can't believe that I get to be here for a month!" Call it the honeymoon phase or whatever, but this is AMAZING!!!

That all said, today was an experience...I woke up round 7 and was quickly ready. I am staying at Kofi's house, and all of the ladies are about 10 minutes (if the traffic is good, and usually it is not) away at a very plush hotel. What can I say, I am getting the authentic experience, and wouldn't change a thing. The water in the shower won't run out of the tap on the wall, so it is bath-out-of-a-bucket for me, and no waiting for the ladies to quit hogging it...lol. Shortly thereafter we went to the hotel, said g'morning to the ladies and had a lovely breakfast. Scrambled eggs w/ peppers, toast, and sausages (hot dogs). For the record, Nestle owns everything. In a very Fight Club moment, I wanted to be the, "I am not Mike's instant coffee" guy this morning....but for those of you that know me, who are we kidding, right?

After some food, the last two ladies arrived from the airport and we made our way, on foot no less, to the Madina Market. The streets are lined w/ shanty-like constructs and every sort of thing is for sale. I took all of this in stride, and got lots of photos. People in the cars immediately knew who we were, and for those of you tattooed folks that think we don't blend at home...yeah, you get the picture...it is like to the Nth Power here.

It was overcast at first, but when the sun broke through, I swear it was about 2 inches above my head. No joke. This equatorial business is, well, going to take some getting used to. Needless to say, my "Africa Hat" just about saved my life.

When we finally went into the market, it was sensory overload. People milling about like worker bees or soldier ants. A literal cacophony of strange Akan language, shrill horns from around the market, and smells most of which uncommon, and a few rancid ones from the gutters that were pungent to say the least. Saturday is market day and I must go back and get some photos of the food stuffs there: soft shelled blue crabs, meat and fish being butchered and cleaned, salted and dried fish everywhere, fruits, veggies, and spices, one man even selling dead rats...for EATING. um...no thanks, sorry. Anyway, it was totally overwhelming. It was so busy, and the group kept getting split up that we are going to have to go back for photos.

Afterward, we caught a Tro-Tro (taxi) back to Jampart (a restaurant) for lunch. Today I had Banku with Okra Stew and Beef. Banku is a fermented corn dough, very sticky and very filling. Last night I ate at the same place and had Omotuo (sp?) which is sticky rice balls, drowned in a spiced ground peanut sauce, and 2 pieces of chicken. It was delicious...weight watchers is just going to have to look forward to helping me shave off the "Africa" weigh, if I gain any that is, I sweat so much today it was ridiculous.

Anyway, I love you all, and Zane, baby, this is the most amazing adventure Dad has ever had. I think of you every minute and wonder so much what you would think of this. I am carrying you in my heart, just like I do every day at home. I love you, Buddy.

M

7 comments:

  1. Dude i'm so Happy for you it's ridiculous... I'm sitting at your computer reading this and found myself crying... I love you bro, glad you're having the time of your life. Wish i could be there with ya... Take care, be safe and HAVE FUN..
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO EffING excited for you! this is going to b3 an incredible trip for you, and for your first blog post i have to say you should be very proud! keep it up. the only thing to blogging to to make sure and do it every chance you get. consider it sort of like a semi public journal and just keep writing. and if you forget for a couple of days, it doesnt matter, just log in and start again... and ad photos every chance you get! you will have a great documentary of your trip when you are done and will thank yourself later for keeping an ongoing scrap book that you can relate back to to trigger memories and remind you of other things to write about...

    I am super happy for you and cant wait to read more!

    much love and huge hugs!

    Devan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock for getting on this so quickly. Excellent post, and I look forward to pictures (may I suggest flickr?)

    xxoo

    Bp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write this up for us (and you). Hungrily looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocking post sir, rockin! Keep them coming and I'll make sure to tell Viv all about your exciting trip. I too am thrilled for you (and a bit weepy...perhaps Paul is postpartum too?)

    Xxoo Kt

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love you Pitts!

    Darcie and Drew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thousands of clients are being served and we are n a process of serving thousands of our clients every year and thus having a huge number of our satisfied recurring customers who are getting grand Ghana flight deals as far as their travelling requirements are concerned on cheap flights to Ghana for spending their holidays with their loved ones across the continent of Africa. Ghanaflight.co.uk is one of the best wherewithal to stumble upon travelling needs our returning Ghana flight customers who are well aware of this fact consequently are attached with us for since a long time and are getting best cheap flights to Ghana. With Ghana flight you will find enhanced options either on economy Ghana flight, business Ghana flight, cheap Ghana flight, direct Ghana flight, last minute Ghana flight etc either its summer holidays, group traveling or last minute Ghana flights our specialized team is always here to help you out by contribution the best cheap fights to Ghana or Africa so you can bargain your trips on Ghana flights while going to any part in Africa especially South Africa at your own ease and comfort you can also find last minute Ghana flight are also available on http://ghanaflight.co.uk/

    For further information please log in to http://ghanaflight.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete